After nearly two years, the diverging diamond interchange change project is nearly complete. According to DELDOT, the project was identified as a need out of the SR 1 Widening Study. The interchange modifications were needed to improve congestion and safety related to the heavy left-turn movements entering and exiting SR 1.
The project was designed to construct a Diverging Diamond Interchange. This innovative interchange design will provide improved traffic flow, congestion relief, and safety along Route 72 at the Route 1 interchange. It will be the first of its kind in Delaware.
1. Early Summer 2015 – Request for Qualifications (RFQ) review and selection
2. Late Summer 2015 – Request for Proposals (RFP) review and selection
3. Late Fall 2015 – Notice to Proceed (NTP) for Design-Build Team
4. Spring 2016 – Construction
5. SR72/SR1 DDI was opened to traffic November 2016