• Type:
  • Genre:
  • Duration:
  • Average Rating:

National

Mass Shooting: 2 Killed, 12 others injured at New Jersey House Party

One man has been arrested in connection with a house party in Bridgeton, New Jersey where 2 people were killed and 12 others were injured.

BRIDGETON (NJ) BY GEORGE SHEA: New Jersey State Police is investigating a shooting that killed two people and injured 12 others at what officials say was a birthday party in Bridgeton, New Jersey just before midnight Saturday.

Officers were called to the home on Commerce Street, in Fairfield Township, Cumberland County around 11:50 p.m. Saturday evening.

At 11:50 p.m., troopers from Troop “A” Bridgeton Station responded to the report of a shooting at a residence on East Commerce Street in Fairfield Township. When troopers arrived, they discovered that a 30-year-old man and 25-year-old woman sustained fatal gunshot wounds, and 12 other adult victims were also shot and were already transported to area hospitals with various injuries. | New Jersey State Police

At the scene police began searching a large area around the home, including nearby woods and a cemetery. During the search, investigators located multiple firearms and shell casings. 

At a news conference Monday morning, New Jersey state attorney general, Gurbir Grewal said, that the state will be working with federal partners to determine where the guns originated from and whether they can be linked to other recent acts of violence in the area.

Also during the press conference, Grewal announced that one man was arrested and more arrests are anticipated as the investigation continues.

Photo Submitted | Officials identified the suspect as 36-year-old Kevin Dawkins of Commerce Street in Bridgeton

The suspect was identified by the Cumberland County Prosecutor Jennifer Webb-McRae.  Webb-McRae identified the suspect as 36-year-old Kevin Dawkins of Commerce Street in Bridgeton.

She said Dawkins is being charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose.

“Numerous interviews are being done and we’re still putting pieces together.,” | Cumberland County Prosecutor Jennifer Webb-McRae

Officials estimate there were several hundred people at the party and are encouraging attendees with information to contact New Jersey State Police at 856-451-0101 or submit a tip to the Cumberland County Prosecutor’s Office at njccpo.org/tips.

Meanwhile, the two victims who were killed have been identified. They are 30-year-old Kevin Elliott of Bridgeton and 25-year-old Asia Hester, also of Bridgeton.

Photo Submitted | 30-year-old Kevin Elliott and 25-year-old Asia Hester, both from Bridgeton were killed at a house party in Bridgeton, New Jersey early Saturday morning.

One of the 12 people who were injured is in critical condition. Webb-McRae said the wounded victims ranged in age from 19 to 35, included both men and women, and all were residents of Cumberland County. Six of the victims were rushed to Cooper University Hospital Sunday morning. 

“This was a birthday party. A birthday party is supposed to be a joyous event, not a target for those hellbent on inflicting harm on a community,” said Gov. Phil Murphy.

Seven charged in federal court in connection with U.S. Capitol violence

As previously reported, approximately 40 individuals were arrested and charged in Superior Court with offenses including, but not limited to, unlawful entry, curfew violations, and firearms-related crimes.

WASHINGTON (DC) 01/13/21: Seven individuals have been charged in federal court in the District of Columbia in connection with crimes committed at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, the FBI says.

Documents obtained by Delaware Newsline shows Defendant, Richard Barnett, who was arrested on Jan. 8, 2021, was charged in an amended complaint yesterday with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without law authority; one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on capitol grounds; and one count of theft of public money, property, or records.

Also according to court documents, additional complaints have been submitted in federal court and investigations are ongoing.

FBI PHOTO | The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) Washington Field Office is seeking the public’s assistance in identifying individuals who made unlawful entry into the United States Capitol Building on January 6, 2021, in Washington, D.C.

As previously reported, approximately 40 individuals were arrested and charged in Superior Court with offenses including, but not limited to, unlawful entry, curfew violations, and firearms-related crimes.

The ATF and FBI continue to urge the public to report suspected use of explosive devices, or violent, destructive acts associated with the recent unrest. Anyone with information can call 1-888-ATF-TIPS (1-888-283-8477), email ATFTips@atf.gov or submit information anonymously via ReportIt.com.

The FBI is looking for individuals who may have incited or promoted violence of any kind. Anyone with digital material or tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or submit images or videos at fbi.gov/USCapitol.

The details contained in the charging documents are allegations. Defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.


Robert Keith Packer was charged with knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority and violent entry or disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds. Packer was arrested today in Virginia.


Nicholas Rodean was charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without law authority; one count of knowingly, with intent to impede government business or official functions, engaging in disorderly conduct on capitol grounds; and one count of and parading, demonstrating, or picketing in the capitol buildings. Rodean was arrested today in Washington, D.C.

William Pepe was charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without law authority. Pepe was arrested yesterday in New York.


Andrew Williams was charged with one count of unlawful entry of a restricted building and one count of disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds. Williams was arrested in Florida yesterday.

 

Josiah Colt, of Meridian, Idaho, was charged with knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds. Colt was arrested yesterday in Idaho.

Kevin Loftus was charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without law authority and one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds. Loftus was arrested yesterday in Wisconsin.

Court blocks Trump effort to exclude undocumented immigrants

“The Constitution is crystal clear: the Census must count everyone,” said Attorney General Jennings.

NEW YORK (NY): In a victory for the 2020 Census, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ruled late Thursday that undocumented immigrants must be included in congressional apportionment following the census count. Delaware was one of the suit’s plaintiffs.

“The Constitution is crystal clear: the Census must count everyone,” said Attorney General Jennings. “President Trump’s repeated attempts to sabotage the Census are transparently political efforts to harm millions of Americans by depriving them of accurate representation and federal resources. I’m grateful that the Court saw this for what it was: an unlawful Hail Mary. We will continue to defend the Census against attacks from the White House, and we will continue to win.”

“This is an excellent outcome,” said Latin American Community Center President and CEO Maria Matos, whose declaration was cited in the Court’s decision. “I am proud to have joined forces with Attorney General Jennings to present a strong case against these continued attacks by this administration on our Constitution and on the immigrant community.”

Thursday’s ruling is only the latest blow against the Trump Administration’s efforts to undermine a fair and accurate census count. In June of 2019, the U.S. Supreme Court stopped Trump’s attempt to include a “citizenship question” on the 2020 Census questionnaire. A U.S. District Court also recently issued a temporary restraining order to block Trump’s 11th-hour attempt to cut the Census short by a full month. Delaware was involved in both legal challenges.

Legal action against Trump Admin in relation to 2020 Decennial Census

Attorney General Kathy Jennings has joined a large coalition of attorneys general, cities, counties, and the bipartisan U.S. Conference of Mayors in taking legal action against the Trump Administration’s impairment of the 2020 Decennial Census.

WILMINGTON (DE): The coalition filed an amicus brief in National Urban League v. Ross supporting the plaintiffs’ request for a nationwide stay or preliminary injunction to halt this “Rush Plan.” The expedited schedule will hamstring the bureau’s ongoing efforts to conduct the census and will thus impair the accuracy of its enumeration of the total population of each state.

In August, the U.S. Census Bureau announced that it was reducing — by an entire month, from October 31 to September 30 — the time in which self-response questionnaires will be accepted and door-to-door follow-ups by census enumerators will take place.

“During a worldwide pandemic, the Trump Administration should be encouraging all people to be counted in the 2020 Census not making it harder by excluding some populations and refusing to extend the deadline to respond,” said Attorney General Jennings. “An accurate Census count determines how much funding local communities receive for key public services such as schools, roads, hospitals, and public works, while also determining Congressional seats. We have a moral obligation to ensure that every person is counted regardless of their race, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, legal status, the language they speak, and yes, the zip code they reside in.”

“The Census is one of the most important ways that Delawareans can make their voices heard and ensure they are counted. For a decade at a time, the Census count dictates what proportion of critical federal resources our state is allocated. From roads, to bridges, to schools, to emergency relief – having an accurate Census count is critical to ensuring Delawareans get the resources they deserve,” said Rep. Blunt Rochester. “The Trump Administration’s attempt to cut short the counting window is yet another attack on this constitutionally mandated government function. I applaud Attorney General Jennings for fighting against these attacks and urge every Delawarean to visit 2020Census.Gov and complete their Census as soon as possible.”

“A complete census count is critical to our country, and rushing it would undermine our democracy,” said U.S. Senator Tom Carper. “In Delaware, for each person uncounted, our state could lose more than $2,000 in federal funding each year. In order for our government and the businesses that drive our economy to work for Delawareans and Americans across the country, it’s imperative that they have the most accurate and comprehensive data on those they serve. I applaud the efforts of Attorney General Jennings and others around the country for fighting against cutting the census short and aiming for a complete count in their states.”

National-Urban-League-v-Ross-Amicus-Brief-FINAL

In the brief — filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California —the coalition of 23 attorneys general, five cities, four counties, and the U.S. Conference of Mayors, argue that the decennial census determines the states’ political representation in Congress, provides critical data for states’ redistricting efforts, and affects hundreds of billions of dollars in federal funding to states and localities. An inaccurate census will directly impair those interests, inflicting harms that will persist for the next decade. The administration’s efforts to reduce the time for both self-responses of the questionnaire sent to every household across the country, as well as non-response follow-up operations for those who don’t respond, will inevitably harm the accuracy of the population count. The shorter time period also flies in the face of what the Census Bureau previously said itself was necessary to conduct an accurate count, as it alters the deadline that the bureau had adopted specifically to accommodate the unique difficulties posed by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.

An undercount would severely impact Delaware, especially communities with high populations of immigrants. A district court previously found — in the litigation over the citizenship question — that even a small undercount would raise a “significant risk of an apportionment loss” to Delaware and other similar states. Such a loss would deprive these states of political power in Congress for a decade, hampering their efforts to serve their residents and depriving them of the representation to which they would otherwise be entitled. The undercount would also affect harm within states since census data is used for redistricting of state legislative seats as well.

Additionally, an undercount would affect hundreds of billions of dollars of federal funding that are dependent on the decennial census’s population count. In particular, at least 18 federal programs distribute financial assistance based in whole or in part upon each state’s relative share of the total U.S. population. Numerous other programs distribute funds based off of census data as well.

Further, self-response rates for 2020 lag behind the rates for 2010 in most states. According to U.S. Census data, the overall self-response rate in Delaware is 62.4%, with New Castle County at 67.8%, Kent County at 67.2%, and Sussex County with the lowest response rate at 51.5%.

The coalition goes on to argue that the court should not view this Rush Plan in a vacuum. The very integrity of the 2020 Decennial Census is at stake, and the defendants — the U.S. Department of Commerce, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, the Census Bureau, and Census Bureau Director Steven Dillingham — have all repeatedly attempted to manipulate the census, in multiple ways, under the direction of President Donald Trump by previously attempting to add a citizenship question to the census and by excluding undocumented immigrants from the population count that will be used for congressional apportionment. The coalition highlights that all three of these efforts disregard unambiguous constitutional or statutory requirements, consciously deviate from centuries of consistent practice, and fail to deal honestly with the public and the courts.

In filing this amicus brief, Delaware joins the attorneys general of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia. The attorneys general are joined by the cities of Central Falls, RI; Columbus, OH; Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ; and Pittsburgh, PA. Additionally, Cameron, El Paso, and Hidalgo Counties in Texas; Howard County in Maryland; and the bipartisan U.S. Conference of Mayors joined the amicus brief as well.

FedEx makes emergency landing at LAX with broken gear that would not extend

A Fedex B767 performing flight from Newark to Los Angeles was on final for runway 24R when the crew reported an issue with the left main landing gear not being down and locked. The aircraft circled around the airport and amde several low approaches to confirm the status of the gear and assess the situation.

Scroll to top