By using our website, mobile site or app (the “Site”), you agree to be bound by these Terms of Service and to use the Site in accordance with these Terms of Service, our Privacy Notice, and any additional terms and conditions that are referenced herein or that otherwise may apply to specific sections of the Site, or to products and services that we make available to you through the Site (all of which are deemed part of these Terms of Service).
Accessing the Site, in any manner, whether automated or otherwise, constitutes use of the Site and your agreement to be bound by these Terms of Service. Your accessing the Site for the limited and exclusive purpose of reviewing these Terms of Service does not constitute your “use” of the Site or agreement to be bound by these Terms of Service unless you further access or use the Site.
Across the country, a new news reporting model is emerging. Online news sites are taking up the slack and delivering news in the public interest. Readers are beginning to contribute to new public media news sources instead of paying subscription fees to for-profit newsrooms.
Unfortunately, this online news distribution system cannot cover the significant costs associated with in-depth news reporting. We ask for your financial support to help pay experienced reporters, photographers, videographers, and contributors to go into the courts, the community, and the offices of government to find and tell important stories in a journalistic non-biased way.
- WHERE YOUR DONATION GOES | HOW YOUR DONATION HELPS
$50 per month helps us pay our contributors fairly for their work.
$100 per month helps us pay our breaking news reporters fairly for their work.
$500 per month helps us pay for video production.
$1,000 per month helps us maintain and/or purchase new equipment and other operating costs.
$2,000 per month pays for Delaware Newsline’s entire monthly operating cost.
- DONOR POLICY | DONOR TRANSPARENCY
• We are committed to transparency in every aspect of funding our organization.
• Accepting financial support does not mean we endorse donors or their products, services or opinions.
• We accept gifts, grants and sponsorships from individuals, organizations and foundations to help with our general operations, coverage of specific topics, and special projects.
• Our news judgments are made independently — not based on or influenced by donors.
• We do not give supporters the rights to assign, review or edit content.
• We do not make donors public unless they request to be. We will avoid accepting donations from government entities, political parties, elected officials or candidates actively seeking public office.
• We will not accept donations from sources who, deemed by our Editorial staff, present a conflict of interest with our work or compromise our independence.
- EDITORIAL INDEPENDENCE | We adhere to standards of the Society of Professional Journalists
• Our organization retains full authority over editorial content to protect the best journalistic and business interests of our organization. We maintain a firewall between news coverage decisions and sources of all revenue. Acceptance of financial support does not constitute implied or actual endorsement of donors or their products, services or opinions.
• We accept gifts, grants and sponsorship’s from individuals and organizations for the general support of our activities, but our news judgments are made independently and not on the basis of donor support.
• Our organization may consider donations to support the coverage of particular topics, but our organization maintains editorial control of the coverage. We will cede no right of review or influence of editorial content, nor of unauthorized distribution of editorial content.
• Since our organization is not a 501(c)(3) media organization, we will not make any donors public, unless they request to be public. We will accept anonymous donations for general support only if it is clear that sufficient safeguards have been put into place that the expenditure of that donation is made independently by our organization and in compliance with all other editorial policies.
- DONOR PRIVACY
Information we collect and maintain:
• Contact Information: name, address, telephone number, email address
• Giving History: gift amount, date, any gift restrictions requested by the donor
• Information on events attended, publications received, any special requests for program information, and other data points that may allow us to better server your interests
All information is confidential and kept on file for IRS purposes. Information is also used to analyze giving patterns in order to make accurate budget projections. Credit card numbers are used only for donation or payment processing and are not retained for other purposes.
We will use confidential information for the following purposes:
• Distributing donation receipts
• Sending thank you letters to donors
• Internal analysis and record keeping
• Contacting donors about changes in policy
Use and disclosure of your personal information:
• We will not sell, share or trade your personal information with other entities without your permission.
• We may collect your name, email address, telephone number and payment information when you make a contribution, either on our website, over the phone, at an event or by mailing in a check, or by other written or spoken forms of communication.
• To the extent any donations are processed through a third-party service provider, our donors’ information will only be used for purposes necessary to process the donation.
• We will use the personal information to protect against potential fraud. We may verify with third parties the information collected in the course of processing a gift.
• We publicly recognize certain types and levels of donors by publishing names in our Annual Report, on our website and in other publications, unless a donor explicitly requests to remain anonymous. Donors may contact us to request that they not be included in such publications.
Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by our donors.